Pages

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Top 5 QB's in the NFL...how do you rank them?

Today Merril Hoge inspired me to raise a debate with this video where he ranks who he thinks are the best QB's in the NFL http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:8916799

I'm going to rank my top QB's and you can comment with your own and what you agree or disagree with about mine.

Hoge's lists as follows:
1) Joe Flacco
2) Aaron Rodgers
3) Tom Brady
4) Ben Roethlisberger
5) Matt Ryan

Absolutely blew my mind that Joe Flacco was #1...I understand he had a great postseason performance and won the Super Bowl but is he the best in the NFL right now?  Debatable.

Now for my list:


1) Tom Brady...say what you want about the Patriots and Tom Brady and their loss to the Ravens but the Patriots continue to make the playoffs year after year and have sensational success because of this guy who puts up incredible numbers year after year. Consistency is everything and it seems like every season people still can't stop Tom Brady and his elusive offense.





2) Aaron Rodgers...Since he came on strong in 2010 and won the Super Bowl he has proven he can play with the best of them.  He has continued to have great success in the NFL this year throwing for over 4,000 yards, 39 TD's and only 8 interceptions and when he has to be he can be a dual threat QB.



3) Peyton Manning...Why Hoge left him off this list of top 5 QB's in beyond me.  I don't care if he threw a late pick against the Ravens in the playoffs, or if he's getting older.  The man was in the discussion for MVP taking an 8-8 team that barely made the playoffs to 13-3 and finishing the season on an 11 game win streak.  He had 37 TD's, 11 interceptions, and 4,659 yards.  If I leave him off the top 5 board I shouldn't even watch football anymore cause I'm ignorant.  He's coming off a surgery that is rarely done and doesn't always work and continuing to play an aggressive, violent, contact sport at a high level.  I think he did shows signs of rust throughout the year at times including in that playoff game and that is the only reason he isn't number two.  I don't think he dominated the game quite like he used to, but he still has great success obviously.



4) Ben Roethlisberger...before getting hurt this year (like Hoge eluted to) Roethlisberger could have been considered an early MVP candidate.  He had thrown for 17 TD's and only 3 picks to that point of the season with 2,287 yards and had the Steelers on a 4 game win streak before going down.  Roethlisberger has 2 rings and 3 Super Bowl appearances as well and is a headache for defenses with his strength and mobility...this is why I have him 4th on this list.

 

5) Matt Ryan...This guy had a big year.  One reason I know this is cause he was a quarterback on one of my fantasy teams.  But looking at his numbers he showed how successful he can be in the NFL.  The dude threw for 4,719 yards, the most of his career, 32 TD's and 14 interceptions.  Although his interception numbers could be better the dude has come on strong this year and not only that but got his team over the hump of winning a playoff game, carrying his team down the field in the closing minutes for a last second game winning field goal and giving his team a big lead vs the 49ers too.  I expect he will only get better from here on out in his career and that is good news for Falcons fans.

I would probably have Eli Manning at 6 and then Flacco at 7 after that just to clear up where they would be on my list.  That being said I think its obvious Flacco made a case for top 10 QB's in the NFL but the top 5 will wait to reserve a spot for him.

What do you think of my rankings!?  Who would you rank as the top 5 QB's in the NFL today!? Leave your comments! 

4 comments:

  1. Couldn't agree more man. Flacco is not better than future Hall of Fame Quarterbacks. Just because he won a superbowl, does not mean he's amazing. Look at the Raven's last quarterback to win a superbowl. Trent Dilfer. I doubt they said he was number 1. Plus, if he's the best quarterback in the league all of a sudden, why wasn't he in the MVP debate?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Aaron Rodgers
    2.Tom Brady
    3. Peyton Manning
    4. Drew Brees
    5. Ben Roethlisberger

    How did you not put Drew Brees top 5 or even top 7?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agree with Ty. Brees can't be missed.

    Rodgers
    Brady
    Brees
    Ben
    Manning

    And if I was starting a team today, I'd prefer Cam, Luck, and RGIII all over Flacco as well. Had a great playoff run, not yet a "great" quarterback. I didn't like Hoge arguing that Rodgers has such a superior supporting cast either. Who knew who Randall Cobb was before Rodgers made him great? Similar story with Jordy Nelson. Recievers look a lot better when the ball is on the money every time. Pitta is better than Finley, Rice is better than the GB committee at RB. The weapons are similar, Rodgers is just flat out better

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes I admit I forgot Brees. That's my bad. When I was typing this blog up I knew I was forgetting someone but I couldn't remember who. My order would be:

    Brady
    Rodgers
    Brees
    Manning Roethlisberger

    With Ryan dropping to 6
    Eli and 7
    Flacco at 8

    Sorry, just wanted to give clarification

    ReplyDelete

About