Pages

Monday, December 3, 2012

Monday Morning Spread Option

Every Monday we'll give our opinion and answer some questions on sports hottest topics to begin the week. 


Yesterday Russell Wilson and Andrew Luck completed crazy comebacks. Ryan Tannehill broke Dan Marino’s rookie record for yards. Brandon Weeden continues to improve and RG3 has the Redskins thinking playoffs. Do you think this is the best rookie class of quarterbacks in terms of instant impact in the last 10 to 15 years? Which one would you want to be your QB?

Tylante Doyle
This has to be the best QB class, in terms of immediate impact, in the last 10 to 15 years. This years class has everything, the Prototypical pocket passer in Andrew Luck, the phenomenal athlete sensation in RG3, the improbable NFL story in Russell Wilson, the random old rookie story with Brandon Weeden AND Ryan Tannehill is breaking records. The only other draft class that I can even think of is the class with Eli Manning, Philip Rivers and Big Ben and even then they didn’t make this quick of an impact! Big Ben did ride the Steelers defense to the AFC title game, but still it’s not close. This could be like the 2003 draft for the NBA that produced Lebron, Carmelo, Dwayne Wade, and Chris Bosh. I’m taking RG3 as my QB by the way. I am completely biased but he and Luck are 1a and 1b but I think Griffin is the complete package of game, charisma, box office spark and leader. He’s a captain on his team as a rookie!

Zach Warren
This is by far the best QB class in the last 10 years.  There has been no other group who has made such an immediate impact on their teams.  I think you could make a case for 2008 when Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco were both taken in the first round (#3 pick and #18 pick respectively) but the numbers can't compare to the 2012 class.  It's tough to say who I would want on my team, being that I don't have a team and therefore can't possibly know what tools I have to build a franchise around the QB. I think as far as raw talent, I'll take RGIII. Fast, strong, smart, and a leader. But most importantly he doesn't depend solely on his speed to be successful. The man can throw too, and that's what makes him one of the most dangerous players in the league.

Spencito-
I think this is without a doubt the best class of rookie quarterbacks in a good amount of time. Think back to the beginning of the season where we saw for the first time in history 5 rookies starting at QB in week one. That's unheard of. I think all these quarterbacks have made impacts to their teams right away. They are setting records, making the race for rookie of the year interesting, making their teams more competitive, and playing in some exciting games for us fans. These guys respective teams certainly have some bright years ahead. That being said I would particularly want Luck if I'm thinking long term simply because you look at the history of players like Luck, he's being compared to Peyton Manning and Tom Brady guys who have had extended careers and put up record numbers. If he follows suit and based on his performance this year he has a long career ahead if him. Although I love RG3 we haven't seen a lot of dual threat QB's have extended success

The Lakers lost to the Orlando Magic yesterday. They are 8 and 9 even though they've had a home heavy schedule, and Dwight Howard has already missed 100 Free throws this year! Should Lakers fans be worried or is it still to early?

Tylante Doyle-
I know Lakers fans have been worried since the Lakers opening day lost to the Mavs. A lot of the losing has to fall on the fact that D’Antoni’s system is completly and utterly dependent on Steve Nash who has yet to play a game during D’Antoni’s tenure. But their problems are on defense as well as offense right now. Pau Gasol's awful play isn't helping either. He's averaging 9 points on 38 percent shooting over the last 5 games.Kobe even said last night that Gasol needs to put his big-boy-pants on, he’s definitely playing soft enough to be wearing pampers. Dwight Howard has been dominate in spots but I  don't know how you play him in the 4th quarter when he's shooting 40 percent from the line. Still I would wait to completely panic with Nash still out but it has to scare Laker fans that the success of this team relies heavily on the legs and back of a 40 year-old point guard who has a back problem history.

Zach Warren- ‪
Normally, I would say the season is way too long to be worried after 17 games. But if I'm a Lakers fan, I am surely not relaxed.  Teams have begun using hack-a-Shaq strategy against Howard and it's working! He made a big stink in Orlando because he didn't want to play there.  Well he got what he wanted.  He's in a more relevant market and he got paid. Earn your money, son! HIT. YOUR. FREE-THROWS.  And if the Lakers can't win on the road (1-4) they have to start winning more home games.  They are 7-5 at home.  They should be at least 9-3.  It doesn't matter what sport you're playing. If you can't win at home, you can't win a championship. Period.  They need to turn it around now. ‬

Spencito-
I don't think there is any reason to be concerned out in Laker Land. I look back to the Heat 2 seasons ago after "the decision" where Lebron, D Wade, and Bosh teamed up in Miami to form a super team. After November the Heat we're just 10-8, only one game better than the Lakers are now with a new identity. What the problem is right now is simply an identity crisis. Players are learning a new system, how to play with each other, how to get over their egos and work together as a team and use each others strengths, and so on. The Heat literally had the same issue and still made it to the NBA finals that season. New teams take time to mesh and come together. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see the Lakers make a run deep into the playoffs. As for Dwight, he definitely needs to perform better. I think he's still adjusting to the change and has to find ways to work around the strategy teams throw at him defensively and of course start making free throws. If he picks his game up, expect a great season from the "Lake Show" the rest of the way! 

The NHL is still locked out! How do you think this will affect fan support if they cancel an entire season again?!

Tylante Doyle-
Is there any doubt in anyone’s mind that Gary Bettman is the worse commissioner in sports? David Stern could veto 8 trades tomorrow and Roger Goodell could suspend Tim Tebow for allegedly breaking his vow of celibacy and it still wouldn’t be close. How do you have 2 season cancellations in the span of 8 years? I know many hockey fans that where just now getting back into hockey after the last lockout. There is absolutely no way this wont effect fans. I know some loyal people will stay but goodbye to the fair weather fans, there is just too many other sports to watch during the winter. The NHL is really losing out after having big market American teams like LA and NY in the conversation once again, especially since the average sports fan doesn’t see much hockey on ESPN even when there is a season.

Zach Warren-
Fans are pissed. I'm pissed.  This is the third work stoppage under NHL commissioner Gary Bettman.  And all of the news is bad.  The two sides won't budge, moderators don't know how to do their job, and the season is disappearing bit by bit.  That being said, the NHL isn't going anywhere.  It is THE LEAGUE for hockey.  Players in Russia don't dream of hoisting the KHL's Kontinental Cup. They dream of hoisting Lord Stanley's Cup.  This is where the best talent comes, and there is no other league that can match it's notoriety.  Fans won't disappear like they did in '05.  The league is more popular than ever despite not having TV deals with ESPN.  Fans will be upset, they'll boo, they'll call for the commissioner's head.  And they'll fill the seats.  And Bettman's pocket will in the end, have the last laugh.

Spencito-
From what I see and hear from people I know who are fans of the NHL it seems most NHL fans are still passionate their support or teams. It's more a feeling of disappointment that it hasn't been worked out and eagerness to get the season started but not a sense of abandonment of support. I think what the lock out hurts more than anything is their growth of support. If people go a whole year without seeing or hearing or watching the NHL it hurts their chances to expand and people to start to follow the sport more and more. I feel hockey has certainly been growing in popularity over the last few years but now that process has hit a bump in the road while they work towards a new deal. 

How exciting does the College Football National Championship look? Do you think the game will be boring like last year?

Tylante Doyle-
I almost always root against SEC teams in the National Championship game. Mainly because they are always there and usually boring teams built on defense, aside from Auburn with Cam Newton, but even that Oregon v. Auburn game was boring. So this year we have SEC powerhouse against a team that is basically an SEC team. Notre Dame is just a team built around a great defense and running game. In terms of football this should be an awesome defensive battle. But the best college football game I’ve seen is USC v. Texas and that game ended 41-38, Defense is just boring. I highly doubt it will be entertaining to the average sports fan unless Notre Dame’s Everett Golson does something crazy, which I doubt. I think the two teams are deserving that doesn’t mean I’m looking forward to a 3 and out fest, which would make college football seem even longer somehow! I guess it can’t be more boring than last year right?

Zach Warren-
For once, I have no problem with the two teams in the BCS.  I think they both deserve it and I haven't been pooh-poohing computer rankings for the first time in years.  That being said, I'll probably just watch the game out of the corner of my eye while watching Netflix. I have a natural dis-interest of college football, possibly because I go to a school with no football team.  And there is nothing from these two teams that tells me it's going to be an offensive shootout. I think it's going to be low-scoring and the MVP's will be the punters.  If I wanted to watch five hours of two yard gains, I'd go watch the local Pop Warner team and avoid the barrage of car commercials I'd be forced to sit through.

Spencito-
I'm honestly torn right now when it comes to this game. I think it has potential to be a great and exciting game, I think the hype surrounding Notre Dame is great and makes expectations for the game higher, and I know I've bought into it, but I also just feel like Alabama especially being an SEC team is untouchable. I know they have one loss but I think they kind of slipped up that week and maybe underestimated a tough opponent in Texas A&M. Otherwise Alabama has risen to the occasion time and time again. Playing in the SEC certainly plays in their favor because they're schedule has tested them and pushed them to the limit. I don't think anyone will argue Notre Dame had a harder road to 12-0 than Alabama did to get to 12-1. I hope it's a great game, one for the ages, between two storied and great teams, however given the circumstances I think Alabama defends their title. Roll Tide! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

About