Pages

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Tuesday Spread Option


 1. Magic Johnson offered LeBron James a million dollars to do the dunk contest. Do you think that LeBron will do it? Do you think this is the best strategy to get him to do it?

Spencer-

LeBron James will never participate in the dunk contest. It is that simple. He has no desire too whether he is bribed or not and I think that is perfectly fair. Sure I would love to see him and Blake and others go at it in the dunk conest every year and add some flare to it...but that being said he is a grown man, if he doesn't want to participate that is his choice. His job is to play basketball for the Miami Heat in the quest to win a championship. It is not his job to help the NBA get better views during the All-Star break or any of that.  Keeping that in mind I can't blame him for opting to not participate. People like Magic think he needs to do it as part of his legacy he leaves on the NBA but thats nonsense. LeBron continues to have an imaculate impact on the NBA and will leave his mark on it whether he enters the dunk contest or not. Offering him a million dollars when he makes substantially more than that in his contract and his endorsements, I don't think will make him more interested. I will say though, that dunk he did in warmups when he spun, jumped, put the ball beween his legs, threw it off the backboard in one continuous motion, and YAMMED it! Was dope and probably would of won the conest this year.

Zach-

I don't think LeBron James will do it. And I don't think she should do it.  LBJ Is perfectly content focusing his efforts in normal games, where it will actually matter if he wins or not.  The fact of the matter is, he doesn't need to prove himself in a dunk contest.  I'm not going to look back 10 years after he retires and think any less of him because he didn't do the dunk contest.  It's not like I stay up at night wondering if the man can touch the rim or not.  This is just another gimmick story and fuel for the people on First Take to yell at each other some more.  But I guess it seems to be working even a little bit considering James is apparently thinking it over. 

Ty-

This attempt just seems like they are trying to guilt LeBron into doing the dunk contest. Although I think that this might be the best way to try to get him to do the dunk contest it just seems like a plea of desperation. LeBron has been ducking the dunk contest because he just doesn't have anything to gain by doing it. If he wins it's expected and people won't really care and if he loses then he would have to deal with the consequences of that. Honestly I don't think just getting LeBron to dunk is enough because you need to get more known people in the contest in general. If it's Lebron vs Blake Griffin vs Russell Westbrook vs Dwight Howard, then that is a contest worth putting the money up for. LeBron and a bunch of no name people would be a waste of time. The only reason I can see this working is because LeBron is finally recovering from being a "villain" in the NBA and turning down millions for charity isn't the best public relations move.

2. March Madness has officially begun! Which College conference tournament are most looking forward to watching?

Spencer-
   
I say it every year and this is the last year it can be true I think, but the Big East is the toughest and most competetive conference in college basketball. I think any of those teams can beat each other on any day and that those same teams can play with the best  teams in other conferences. With no solid number one really existing all year though it will make every conference tournament fun. The big ten has several very strong teams this year, same with the ACC as always, I think it will certainly be fun, but I will mostly be excited about the Big East Tourney. I think back to that 6 overtime Syracuse versus Georgetown game and it still gives me chills.


Zach-

Well, being that both Ty and I go to an Atlantic 10 school, all of my thought will be put into that if St. Bonaventure makes it into to tournament. (Repeat?) However, I will be keeping close tabs on the ACC tournament as always.  It is one of my favorite post-season tourneys to watch. The teams are always pretty good and this year, I'm predicting a Duke v Miami showdown for the final. The only problem is that Duke is usually pretty good at claiming the title.  There is never a ton of parity. In fact, since 1999, the Blue Devils have won all but four tournaments, including last year.  But as a fan, it's the ride the matters. I'll also keep an eye on the Big east tournament because I there the top five in that conference are a lot of fun to watch. 



Ty-

As Zach said, of course I will be paying real close attention to the Atlantic 10 conference tournament. Not only because I'm a Bonnie but the A-10 now has some pretty big programs in VCU and Butler. But that is more like a mandatory thing for and the other conference tournaments really interest me. The Pac-12 have a bunch of good teams at the top with Arizona, UCLA and Cal. The Big East is always pretty good but besides Louisville, Georgetown and Syracuse (Who has been slumping hard) the other teams don't really scream a great tournament. The Big 12 isn't bad with Kansas and Oklahoma State. But the Best Tournament has to be the Big 10 with Indiana, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Wisconsin and Minnesota! There are so many good teams in the conference that could potentially win that you have to look long and hard at the conference tournament as the most exciting.


3. The Blackhawks are 19-0-3 in the first 22 games and has registered a point in all of their games. On a scale of 1 to 10 how impressed are you with their blazing start?

Spencer-

10. I am very impressed!  How could someone not be?  This is an unthinkable start for any sport really and to be honest I haven't been watching many Blackhawks games not being from the Chicago area obviously but I get the twitter updates of scores and stuff sent to my phone and there were a few times they played some really close, down to the wire games and pulled out a win and everytime I get the updates that they notched another win I'm just like "Wow" at how they continue to win.  Its unreal really, I think it adds some hype and attention to Hockey as a whole, which benefits the NHL after almost not having a season at all this year.  At this point if they continue playing so well I think they got to be a favorite to win the cup. 

Zach-

10. The run the Hawks are making is absolutely incredible. I was watching on ESPN and they were asking if the Heats 14 wins were more impressive than Chicago's start. To me, I find it very hard to even compare the two.  This is the best start in 134 years of NHL history.  To walk skate away from every single game so far with a point is insane. It's so hard to do, especially in a compact season like this one. Not that the Heat's 14 games isn't impressive, but it doesn't even break the top 20 for longest streaks in the NBA.  Let's not forget last year when the Spurs had a 20 game win streak going into the playoffs. Oh, and I have to give a shutout to Stephen A. Smith (because he reads this blog) who said that the Heat were more impressive becasue the Hawks have three ties in their record. Stephen... There are no ties in hockey. I have a hard time taking that man seriously sometimes.

Ty-

Absolute 10! The ESPN conversation about whether the Heat or the Blackhawks are having a hotter stretch is absurd. The Heat are playing extremely well and they deserve to be noticed but the Blackhawks streak is unheard of, not to mention that they are doing this to begin a lockout year where they didn't know if they would play and didn't have time to really gel before the season. The only knock on them is that they have lost a game so it's not a win streak but it is a point streak that is unheard of and is extremely hard in a sport like hockey where you can theoretically dominate a team in all aspects of the game and still lose off of a lucky goal.

4. Los Angeles Angels' sensational rookie Mike Trout came into training camp 10 to 15 pounds bigger than he did last year. Do you think that it will effect his play this year?

Spencer-  

I read a story in Sports Illustrated last week about "sophomore slumps" and how Brice Harper felt about the idea and if it would happen. The story also talked about other rookies like Trout and how the come into spring training preparing for next season and it talked about the added weight for Trout. I remember Harper mentioning he had added weight each year as well because he knew each year leading up to now that he had to add muscle and weight to compete with the best at his level especially in the minor leagues. Trout is doing the same. I don't think added weight will mess with his game, the guy is still real quick, and if anything it will just make him a stronger batter at the plate. I think people often blow the weight thing out of proportion.  He didn't become 300 pounds like Jamarcus Russell...its simply how athletes work.  Sometimes you need more weight sometimes you trim some.  Everyone assumes weight means fat but it could be muscle as well we don't know. I don't buy into that. Expect another good year from Trout.

Zach-

If I'm the Angles, I'm not too worried about it. Everything he put on is mostly muscle. The guy is 21 years old, so he is going to be able to lose it pretty quickly if he wants. If he were in his middle 30's, then I might be a bit concerned because that's potentially a little harder to lose.  Last year he weighed in at around 230 and he was putting up MVP candidate numbers. This year in camp, he comes in at 241 and has already said he expects to lose about 10 pounds in camp which would put him at about where he was last year. No one, including him, seems to be panicking so I won't either. He isn't the first guy to come in over-weight and won't be the last. He is still one of the fastest guys out there and I expect him to contribute mightily to this already stellar Angles lineup.

Ty-

The only reason I would be somewhat worried is because Trout bats as the lead off man. Usually the lead off man is faster then the average batter because their primary job is to get on base. Sometimes lead off men are called upon to steal bases as well and if this weight gain, either fat or muscle slows him down even a little it makes sense to be a little concerned. The reason I wouldn't be is because Trout is a beast and will probably get on bases regardless. Trout had 182 hits and an above average .399 on base percentage last year so he should be fine. To be honest If i'm the Angels I don't have to many worries about offense at all with their lineup that include Trout, Pujols and Hamilton so I think they'll be fine. The real issue is that they should give Trout some more money. I mean $510,000 for an MVP candidate? C'mon son!


No comments:

Post a Comment

About