Pages

Monday, June 30, 2014

Monday Spread Option 06-30-14

1. The NBA Draft was Thursday night, what was the biggest surprise to you when it was all said and done? 

Spencer-
The Biggest Surprise for me had to be the 76ers. Like what exactly were they thinking? I understand Embiid could turn out to be a fantastic player but you just got an injured center who went through surgery last season in Nerlens Noel. I know he is supposed to be back this year but I just don't understand the move? That makes three centers in Philadelphia over the last 3 seasons who were hurt. You had Bynum, Noel and this year it's Embiid. Then after that they went out and Drafted Dario Saric who can't even play in the NBA for another two years. I just didn't get it. Maybe their game plan is to tank again and actually get the first pick this time but they basically conceded this season if not the next two seasons. For a team that had a lot of opportunities in the draft to get better it just felt like they made boneheaded decisions.



Ty- 
The biggest surprise to me would be the Sacramento Kings drafting Nick Staukas with the number 8 pick. Don't get me wrong. I love Nick Staukas' game and would love to have him on my team but for the right price. Staukas added some nice aspects to his game last year but he will mainly be a shooter at the next level. His best case career would be similar to Kyle Korver. Yes Korver is great and was valued pretty high for most teams but most teams would not spend an 8th overall pick on Kyle Korver if they had to do the draft again. Also the Kings just drafted Ben McLemore who plays the same position. Did they already give up on him?

2. This morning we awoke to the news that Jason Kidd had been traded to the Milwaukee Bucks in return for two second round draft picks. What should we make of this and who benefited most from the deal? 

Ty- 
This whole thing is just bizarre. It started off bizarre when the Nets hired Jason Kidd to coach a team that was obviously all in for a championship on no coaching experience. Kidd started the trend and then players like Steve Kerr and Derek Fisher used his path to garner more bucks in their deals. I'm assuming that irked Kidd and he decided he wanted a pay raise and more power in the organization. A part of me is surprised that the Nets were smart enough to say no. The background issue of this is that Bucks former coach Larry Drew was abruptly fired. He didn't know his job was in jeopardy and it probably should have. I'm sure Jason Kidd has created many enemies with his coaching bethren.
Spencer- 
This whole thing kind of blind sided me. I had no idea Kidd even asked to be president of the team as well as coach and it seems a little odd for a guy who had a mediocre first season as head coach to command such a thing. Regardless it is definitely interesting to say the least. Jason Kidd was obviously a great player in Brooklyn and an icon. I for one thought his coaching tenure there was going to be more than a year. Looks like his ego kind of got the best of him though and now he's going to Milwaukee. Have fun with that. I guess he has Jabari Parker so that's a start. Still I notch this up as 10 wins for Brooklyn and an eternity of losses for the Bucks. What are you thinking trading two second round picks for a decent at best, 1 year of experience head coach? That move was so Cleveland, only it was Milwaukee instead. Don't get it and probably never will.


3. With the MLB Season at its midway point, who is your favorite from each league to win the World Series? 

Spencer- While some of my picks from my beginning of the season blog are off so far, some are still looking good. I picked the Nationals to win it all and I'm gonna stand by that pick in the National League. They are currently sitting with a 43-38 record and just a half game back of the Braves in the NL East. They are also set to get Bryce Harper back, who is obviously a great talent for them so they are right in the mix. I do think the Dodgers are certainly a team to look out for though for obvious reason. They got out to a slow start but they are hitting their stride, which is scary good if you didn't know. They are tied with the Giants for the NL West lead and Kershaw is dominating everyone so watch out. In the American League I have pretty much been way off. I agreed with a lot of the experts that the Rays were going to have a big year and it has been exactly the opposite so far as they sit in the bottom of the AL East, but technically aren't out of it yet.
Regardless I don't see them meeting my expectations though so I have to go with Oakland as the favorite in the AL. I mean how do you not? They do pretty much everything well, Yoenis Cespedes has a rocket for an arm and they hold the MLB's best record at 51-30. They are getting some fight from the Angels this year though so we'll see if they can close the gap at all in the second half. I still see the A's winning that division though and making a deep run in October if not ending as the Champions. Very excited for the second half, and hope my Red Sox can get in the mix a bit...haha Wishful thinking.

Ty-

Baseball is way to hard to predict but I think that in the National League the LA Dodgers will play in the world series. In the American League I got the Angels. It's going to be an all LA finals. I think both those teams have the combination of good hitting and pitching to continue their success. I'm sure that i'm wrong and somehow the Tigers and the Cardinals will end up playing each other because those teams are always there.

4. The United States advanced to the round of 16 for their second straight World Cup, and take on Belgium tomorrow in a win or go home match. How far will the U.S. advance and who is your favorite to win the World Cup?


Ty- 
It would be extremely un-American of me to say that they will probably lose tomorrow. But Belgium is probably the better team on paper. The US does have Jozy Altidore coming back which should give them a boast and power to be a little more aggressive. Also the Belgians haven't really shown their true potential in this world cup so hopefully that trend continue and the US team will have more than a fair shot. The USMNT showed that they can compete with anybody by coming out of the group of death and should be able to have a chance to advance. Now the Belgians could really ramp it up and play at their best or the US team could end up playing Argentina in the next round so I don't think  they can make it further than that but all i all it would be a pretty good showing for an up and coming US soccer team.

Spencer- 
I'm for one thrilled that the United States advanced to the round of 16 and the fact that they did after people labeling Group G as "The Group of Death," has exceeded many peoples expectations for this 2014 World Cup. Good for them. I don't see their run ending just yet. Belgium is obvious a great team and in this round you can expect to get the other teams best effort. That being said though the U.S. has been battle tested against three solid teams in Ghana, Portugal and Germany and are set to get Jozy Altidore back for tomorrow. His presence on the field is huge and he'll make an immediate impact. Also last I heard Belgium was down to just 10 players after a number of injuries to guys in the group stage so with them being a little banged up it favors the U.S. as well. After that the United States will play the winner of Argentina and Switzerland, which is where their world cup run will end. I picked Argentina to win it all this year and I see them being a superior team in a match up with the U.S. Nothing to hang their heads about though, the team seems more competitive now than they ever have and will come home with a lot to be proud of.

5. What We Learned: 

Spencer- The "Big Three" will be back in Miami next season. 

Really for me this is more like what was confirmed rather than what I learned but nonetheless there is no doubt in my mind that with LeBron, Bosh and D-Wade all opting out of their contracts and already discussing potential contract options for next season, that the three will be back in Miami uniforms. Sorry Cleveland. 

I said from the start that D-Wade was the wild card and that if he opted in to get paid one last time, then it meant the trio was most likely splitting up. But with him and Bosh opting out and the three getting together to talk contracts, it tells me that the three aren't ready to throw the towel in on their chase for championships. They will most likely command less money on their upcoming deals to leave room to sign the right talent around them for a championship run. I have heard rumors that LeBron wants a max salary, being that he is the star and that he did carry the team most of the year, so I see that being a possibility and the team still having the room to sign others. Also it was obvious the Heat weren't ready to say bye to LeBron by the fact that they went and made a deal to get Shabazz Napier in the Draft, who the world knew was LBJ's favorite player in the draft. All signs are pointing to a return for the "Big Three" in Miami.

I will say though hearing on draft night that Kevin Love would sign long term with Cleveland if they could grab LeBron to go along with him was an intriguing headline. If I'm LeBron that idea at least has to cross your mind. You'd have a lot of young talent, plus a star in Love who isn't going to be aging like Wade will continue to in the coming years. Definitely not a bad thought on paper. Regardless I don't think he is ready to bail on a team that has made four straight finals appearances, won two and will be on of the best teams in a weak East again.


No comments:

Post a Comment

About