Pages

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Tuesday Spread Option


1. Do you think that the Thunder have a chance to make the NBA finals with All-star guard Westbrook out for seemingly the rest of the playoffs?



Spencer-

I think their chances are slim without Westbrook. I see them getting through this round obviously up 3-1, but the next round is a toss up for me especially if they play the Clippers given they have a miss match with Chris Paul at point and no Westbrook. I like their chances a little better against the Grizzlies because I think Ibaka matches up well with Randolph but again the semi-final round is still a toss up for me. Outside of that I have a lot of trouble seeing them beating a team like the Spurs in the conference finals if they make it that far.  Unfortunately this injury to Westbrook seriously hinders them from making it all the way this year in my eyes.  

Ty-

Obviously the road has become harder without Westbrook but I think it is silly to bet against  Kevin Durant. He is the second best player in the world and the rest of the team is much better than people think. People usually think that it is just Westbrook and Durant but Kevin Martin is a proven scorer and Ibaka is capable of stepping up his play with more touches. Reggie Jackson isn't Westbrook but he is capable of playing well. I think they can beat the Grizzlies because of their poor outside shooting and the Thunder's ability to guard in the low post. The Clippers are a lot more of a hassle but their late game offense has been a little iffy. The Thunder handled the Clippers fairly well all season with Westbrook so I think they can find a way to squeak by them with out him. I think San Antonio is still hurt, although they swept the more depleted Lakers, Parker isn't the same and neither is Ginobli so the West is still weak enough for them to win. It all just depends on if Kevin Durant can transcend his teammates. I also think Westbrook can come back if they make it far enough but that's just me.

2. Jason Collins came out as the first gay male active player in the 4 major sports.Although this is a profound moment, do you think it would have more of an impact if it were a player in a different sport? Or if that player was a more marquee name?

Spencer-

I don't think it matters what sport it is really. Everyone knew that if a player currently playing a pro sport came out as gay it was going to be a defining moment. I think if it was a more marquee name you would see a lot different reactions though. A lot of people in the media yesterday seemed to dwell on the fact that it was mediocre player in the NBA who hasn't had the most outstanding career but I think if it was a big name you'd see people outraged more by the idea of how could someone they looked up to and supported as an athlete be gay? Unfortunately that is the sad truth of our society that bigger scale it gets more negative publicity.  

Ty-

I think in someways the sport does matter because although basketball is a popular sport it isn't America's most popular sport. If a player came out in football I think it would be a bigger impact because their is the stereotype of having toughness in football that isn't the same in basketball. I also think that the fan bases for the two games are different so I think it would provide more controversy. I also think that a more marquee player would be more impactful simply because if that player was someone like LeBron James or Kobe it would be somebody great for all people to look up to because they would risk a lot more things like endorsements. Either way this is a great step in the right direction and I hope most people's reaction was that it doesn't matter what his sexual orientation was, if he can play than he can play.

3.The NHL playoffs are set. Who do you have winning the Stanley Cup? Which team is more likely to go further than expected?



Spencer-

As a Pens fan I am not ashamed to hide my opinion that I think they are going to win it all.  In a shortened quick season they are young and restless and I think they can clearly go the distance with Crosby, Malkin and Iginla at the reigns.  My dark horse for the playoffs it has to be St. Louis.  They enter the post season with only 3 losses in April and they have some ugh quality wins against playoffs teams like Detroit, Chicago, Vancouver, and San Jose.  I think if they can overcome the defending champs they could gain some momentum moving forward.  

Ty-

I think the Penguins have to be the favorites going into the playoffs because off how well they've played over the second half of the season. Even without Crosby they have played well. I think it all hinges on whether Crosby can comeback from his jaw injury and play as well as he did earlier in the season. The Blackhawks are obvious favorites as well after a strong season. That being said the NHL is extremely unpredictable and the fact that it was a shortened season and a lockout year. I expect there to be chaos and for a middle seed to come out with the title. The Capitals are the hottest team going into the playoffs going 8-1-1 in their last 10 games so they could continue being hot and make a run but a first round matchup against the Rangers will make it tough. 



4. More swagged out move? Stephen Curry taking a 3 and not watching it go in or Ty Lawson doing it like Bernie after his game winning shot in the regular season? 



Spencer-

I gotta go with Stephen Curry's three. Game winners are big obviously and I like the small celebration by Lawson but not overdoing it, but not watching your three go in and looking into the bench of your opponent knowing it is good...thats the definition of swag. He knew he was so hot at that point that he didn't have to look. Thats the ultimate way to tell a team to shut up and sit down. 



Ty-

Stephen Curry by a landslide. Yes I loved Ty Lawson hitting a game winning shot and then hitting the bernie directly after. Yes it was for the win and Stephen Curry's shot was in the third quarter. Doesn't matter at all to me. Anybody who has ever played basketball ever knows that the most satisfying thing is when you shoot the ball and watch it go through the net. It is the moment that your mind and body worked for when you hoisted up the shot. The fact that he knew it was good when it left his hand and turned to the opposing bench while it went through the net? The swagger level of that is ridiculous. This should be a new thing. Shooting a 3, not watching it go in, then running back on defense while you shout Curry! Also why is nobody talking about how good the Warriors have looked? Stephen Curry is elevating himself to the stage of elite point guards, Klay Thompson is a dead-eye shooter and Marc Jackson is an amazing coach. If they can close out a very good Nuggets team they have a great chance against the Spurs as well.


5.The Bills were under much criticism when they selected E.J. Manuel in the first round of the NFL draft. What was your reaction to this pick?



Spencer-

As most people think, it was definitely a stretch.  He was the only QB taken in the first round and he wasn't even the top ranked one.  I think they could of waited if they wanted him.  However I don't necessarily hate the thought of him being a starting QB.  He was solid in college and is a dual threat QB who can make big plays.  With the lack of QB talent this year you can't blame a team for trying it.  Until we see how he pans out we can't necessarily say it was a good or bad pick up.  If he becomes the Bills QB of the future somehow we will all be praising this pick in 10 years. 

Ty-

I don't mind the Bills picking E.J. Manuel at all. I think he has the most upside for all the quarterbacks in the draft. But I think they managed their draft poorly. I like that they traded back in the draft but they could have drafted a Tyler Eifert at 16 and then Robert Woods in the 2nd and still got Manuel in the second round. Even if they were a little antsy to draft they could have drafted him instead of Woods and maybe still got Woods later. That being said. I can understand if they were so enamored by Manuel and although they knew they could get him later, they didn't think highly enough of other players in the first round. Either way it's hard to guage whether it was a mistake or not because if he becomes a great qb nobody is going to care. If you don't think his upside is high then check out this sports science video here

No comments:

Post a Comment

About